The history of the palace begins in the early 18th century. Since then it was rebuilt many times and has changed many owners. Initially here on the bank of the river Moyka the estate of Praskovya Ioannovna, the niece of the Peter the Great was built. In around 1770 count Andrey Shuvalov ordered to build here a new palace by the French architect Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe. In 1830 it was purchased by a nobleman Nikolay Yusupov. This palace became famous as a place where Grigori Rasputin was murdered in 1916. After the Revolution of 1917 the palace was turned into museum. Then during the Great Patriotic War 1941-45 the palace became a hospital. The building was severly damaged by bombings but after the war it was rebuilt once again and completely renovated.
Mode of transport: walking
Duration: 2 hours
Max travellers: 10
Type: Tours in St. Petersburg
Depart from: Hotel in St. Petersburg
Price includes: Picking up at your hotel, professional tour guiding.
Extra pay: Museum entrance fees (€ 20 per person), photo an video.
Price per tour: € 100